Mushroom Internet design and host websites from Yate and surrounding areas. Gloucestershire is such a beautiful part of the UK, we thought it only fair we provide a little bit of history about the area.
Yate is a town in South Gloucestershire, England, at the southwest extremity of the Cotswold Hills, 12 miles (19 km) northeast of the city of Bristol. At the 2001 census the population was 21,789. The town of Chipping Sodbury (population 5,066) is contiguous with Yate to the east. Yate developed from a village into a new town in the 1960s, partly as an overspill or commuter town for the city of Bristol.
The first mention of Yate is the existence of a religious house in about AD 770; Yate is also mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The name is derived from the Old English word giete or gete, meaning ‘a gateway into a forest area’.
During the Anglo-Saxon period and well into medieval times, most of this part of south Gloucestershire was covered with forest. Through the centuries the land was cleared for farming.
The town’s parish church, St Mary’s, dates from Norman times. It was altered during the fifteenth century and was extensively restored in 1970. St Mary’s Primary School, situated outside the churchyard walls, was built on the site of a former poor house.
It was the opening of the railway station in 1844, as part of Bristol and Gloucester Railway, that established Yate, with Station Road becoming the central thoroughfare. The cattle and produce markets were held around this road, and businesses were established there. Yate railway station was closed by the Beeching Axe in January 1965, but was reopened in May 1989; the Brunel-built engine shed is preserved nearby.
In the 1960s Yate was designated as a development area and the building boom began. The creation of a new town included a large retail shopping area, sports and leisure development together with public buildings.
When a secondary school was built in the late 1970s, it was supposed to be called Brinsham Green School, after Brinsham Lane at nearby Yate Rocks. Owing to a spelling error, however, it was in fact called Brimsham Green School.
The town further expanded in the 1990s and 2000s with the construction of housing at North Yate. This housing estate continued to use the corrupted name of Brimsham. To locals the area is known as Brimsham Park. More information can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yate Additional information can be found at http://www.yateheritage.co.uk/history-of-yate/
Find out more information about our service – Website Design Yate